While most homeowners are familiar with single-pane replacement windows in Orange, CA., double-pane and triple-pane are becoming more popular each year. If you are installing new windows, how do you know if you should switch to one of these newer selections, and if so, which one it should be? Today we are going to cover double and triple-pane windows and how they compare so that, when it’s time, you will have the knowledge you need to make the best decision.
What is a Double-Pane Window?
First, we need to explain what double and triple pane glass windows are.. A double-pane window is comprised from two panes of glass. These panes are separated by a space which is filled with air or a non-toxic gas. This filling of the space helps in having these windows trap cold air in the winter and hot sun in the summer and not allowing them through to your homes interior.
What is a Triple-Pane Window?
A triple-pane glass window is the same as a double-pane but with three panes of glass rather than two. This extra pane of glass and extra space that is filled with gas gives the window that much more protection from the elements making their way inside.
Double Pane vs Triple Pane
Both of these window styles offer several benefits. Let’s dive into each one a little deeper and see how they compare.
- Installation – Both double and triple pane types of windows should be installed by professional window installers to ensure they are fitted properly and securely. One thing to note is that the triple-pane glass may need more space than the double-pane.
- Energy-Efficiency- Sine both types of these windows offer multiple layers of glass as well as filled space, they are both very energy-efficient However, with the extra pane of glass, the triple-pane window is obviously more efficient than the double-pane option.
- Cost- With triple-pane windows being more energy-efficient, they do come in at a higher price point than the double-pane windows. However, the savings they provide on heating and cooling bills each year may make the triple-pane a viable option.
- Security and Safety- While new windows can enhance the safety and security of your home, triple-pane windows, with the extra pane of glass, can offer more security than the double-pane. These windows are extremely durable and can withstand great force and still remain intact making it much more difficult for people to break in.
- Reducing Outside Noise- Both double and triple-pane windows work well for noise reduction. Even though triple-pane windows have the extra pane of glass, the amount of extra reduction is still very close to the double-pane windows. Therefore, a double-pane window maybe a better fit for the value and the price.
If you are replacing your windows in your home, choosing a double-pane or triple-pane can be a very wise investment If you want maximum energy efficiency and security then triple-pane will most likely be the best bet. However, these benefits come with a higher price. If you are looking to save a little money and still enjoy great befits, then double-pane may be the way to go.
If you are still not sure which one to purchase, let us help you. As providers of replacement windows in Orange, CA., we have the knowledge and experience needed to help you decide.